Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Signed, Sealed, Delivered He’s OUR President.

I feel as if tonight there are so many songs that reflect what I’m feeling but Alicia Keys sang it best, “No one, no one, can get in the way of what I’m feeling…”

I’ve finally had a few moments to sit and reflect on what has happened today. I admit I have been moved by this moment in history. I’ve also been deeply touched by the stories of people who lived through the civil rights marches and moved by their reaction, as they watched Barack take the pledge of office. The smartest little people I met today inspire me. I truly believe if you want insight and the truth, ask someone under nine years old. They’re not jaded yet.

As I do sit here, tired from my running around today I am going to say once again how proud I am of Barack and of this country. I pray that they allow him a moment, but just a moment for there is work to be done, and miles to go before his next good nights sleep.

The critics have already said that Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts, dropped the ball when he misspoke the order of the Oath of Office. Some blame it on Barack. One woman said “He should have memorized it”. I think the pause he took was a reflection that he DID know what to say and gave Justice Roberts a moment to re-group. Look, I can only imagine walking through those doors to a sea of millions, knowing that every step you take, every decision you now make, truly rests on your shoulders and you know your critics will be watching you. Likewise I can imagine what it’s like to administer this oath to the President. It was excitement, and you know what he’s human so maybe a bit scared as well. Look, if this is the worse flub of during his presidency, we’ll be fine.

At the Neighborhood ball as they danced, someone said, "It's like they actually like each other". I know and wasn’t looking at two people obviously in love, wonderful. I know this type of love exists because of my parents and of the parents of many of my friends. Hopefully this creates a new stereotype.

My final thoughts are quite simple. This is more than a moment in history. This is more than the first black President. This is more than the history of the past (even though it helped shape this moment); this is the making of the Future.

The Economy, Healthcare, The War in Iraq, Gay Rights and the list goes on. These are the things President Obama will be judged on, not a flub of an oath, or how close he held his wife on the dance floor. These are the things that secure his win, not his ability to rock to Stevie Wonder, how cute the girls are (even though they really are) or his mother-in-law moving in with them.

So as I fold myself into bed finally, the sun is just beginning to rise in the distance. No matter I still have a smile on my face. I am so grateful to my ancestors and my parents for their struggles and the strength they gave me. I look forward and will continue to work hard for those that will come after me. It is my hope to make their world a little but better than mine. You see, Barack isn’t the only one with work to do.

Yes today was historic, but this is not the end. This is the dawn of a new day. We all have miles to go before we can sleep, but until then I wish you peace.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was a great day for all of us. I agree that we all have a lot to do. Peace and all that is good.

About This Blog

As life goes on, I'll find new things to write about, new dreams to have, new people to love and a life worth living. I do want to take this moment to thank you for reading my blog and I hope that if you have anything to share you do. Please feel free to make suggestions, subscribe to my blog feed and know that I will do my best.
Once again...thank you for your support

Blog Archive

New Counter

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP