Monday, January 19, 2009

Today Kings Dream – Tomorrow Obamas

On November 4, 2008, millions of able American voters, elected Barack Hussein Obama based on the content of his character and his proposed policies, and not the color of his skin. Tomorrow, this segment of Dr. Kings’ 46 year old dream, will become a reality.

Only a simple minded person, or one who thought that because of THIS election of a Black man to the nations highest office, would eradicate racism in this country. Nope, no such luck. What it does however signify is that maybe this country that I love, my home is moving in the right direction. The election of this man (and hey, let’s not forget that there was a woman running on the Republican ticket for Vice President – no matter what you thought of her, that is history as well) has created proof for a new generation who weren’t alive during the King days. Hopefully it will aspire more of them to take the cause of community service, and maybe one day they too can be president, should that be their dream. It’s not an easy road but I believe the rewards for a job well done are immeasurable.

As a people we have been shaken by war, the economic crisis and continued terror threats. I don’t think we have ever been more stirred, than by the passion for change, the desire to created a better country or the throngs of people that have converged on the Nations Capital in the last several days. Those that are lucky enough to be close enough to touch, or those so far away they can only be touched by the spirit of the day.

The last several days have been palatable.

Dr. King taught us about sacrifice, rising up during difficult times, working together to achieve our goals. Given all that has happened especially in the last several years, we need this spirit more than ever. I wonder what he would have thought about this day had he lived?

As we celebrate the life and mission of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and prepare for tomorrows inauguration, let us continue to build a new path of inclusion, bright futures and the ability to allow dreams to come true.

There was an old Negro Spiritual that was later adapted for Freedom Riders of the 60’s. I think the lyrics were poignant then and now.

Ain’t gonna let nobody turn me ‘roun’
Turn me ‘roun’
Ain’t gonna let nobody turn me ‘roun’
I’m gonna wait until my change comes

Don’t let nobody turn you ‘roun’
Turn you ‘roun’
Don’t let nobody turn you ‘roun’
Wait until your change comes

I say I’m gonna hold out
Hold out, hold out
I say that I’m gonna hold out
Until my change comes

I promised the lord that I would hold out
Hold out
I promised the Lord that I would hold out
Wait until my change comes.



TOMORROW…Change Comes.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great article! Tomorrow will go down as a great day in history. I am sure Dr. King will be looking down from heaven with a smile on his face. May God bless the USA.

About This Blog

As life goes on, I'll find new things to write about, new dreams to have, new people to love and a life worth living. I do want to take this moment to thank you for reading my blog and I hope that if you have anything to share you do. Please feel free to make suggestions, subscribe to my blog feed and know that I will do my best.
Once again...thank you for your support

Blog Archive

New Counter

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP