Thursday, May 07, 2009

Expectations - the good, bad and just unrealistic.

The last couple of weeks I’ve been really swamped. Writing this ‘little column’ has proven to be a lot of work. I’m not complaining, as I really do like meeting vendors, and speaking with brides. In honesty, I forgot just how much fun to be a part of the process can be.

However, I’ve also reached out to people who I’ve either worked with before, or jobs I’ve applied to. Yes, the economy has hit everyone and out of the over 100 +people or companies, I’ve only received replies from about 27 of them to date. Most saying there isn’t anything, over-qualified etc. So while a part of me is very sadden by it, I understand. I still get up every morning, look through all the job posts, send yet more resumes and hope that things will turn around soon.

I’ve also been busy trying to finish up the novel I’ve been working on for the last almost 7 months. It’s been a long and very hard road, but I think in the end it will be a fun read. What’s is about?? Well it’s about a girl that has a pretty good life, good friends, and a great job. (so far so good??). Then with a twist of ‘fate’ her life changes and what that does to her, her relationships and how she comes to grip with the changes.

My editor and I had a great conversation the other day about expectations. Most of it had to do with my expectations of the book and what I wanted to come of it, but also expectations in general. Expectations seem to be a ‘hot topic’ lately. It made me think of my expectations of people (my family, friends) as well as their expectations of me. I know that I have, what some consider ‘high expectations’. I think it’s just a matter of if I give you 110%, then I hope that I can have 85% back. Personally, I think that’s fair. However I am a flawed human with good days/bad days. I am really trying NOT to have expectations because; well frankly it’s easier isn’t it? That's not a bad thing, I'm just trying to see people from the place where they come from and accept their words/actions from (hopefully) the good place it's coming from.

What do you think? Do people have expectations of you? How do you deal with your own expectations of people? How can you reach a happy medium? If someone has the answer, please let me know. I’m trying to make things better, but some days I seem to ‘put my foot in my mouth (and not having exercised for a LONG time, you know that’s a tough thing – also not a pretty sight!!). I'm trying to get better and if nothing else, think before I write or speak.

I love my family/friends for telling me when they think I've gone off the deep end...well, I may not always like it, but it does make me think. I'm trying not to go to that place again - ya know?? So, off to more resumes…then to the park. It’s a beautiful day and I’m going to take some time for me – just me. I'm going to create a happy ending to my story no matter what.

Have a great day!

No comments:

About This Blog

As life goes on, I'll find new things to write about, new dreams to have, new people to love and a life worth living. I do want to take this moment to thank you for reading my blog and I hope that if you have anything to share you do. Please feel free to make suggestions, subscribe to my blog feed and know that I will do my best.
Once again...thank you for your support

Blog Archive

New Counter

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP