Saturday, November 07, 2009

Can you beat the system?

I saw something the other day in the news. It was called ‘Moneybag Medicaid “Cheaters’ Pinched. What was it about – Millionaires, the folks that have money, can buy the best of anything/everything…but they claim they are poor and apply for Medicare. Medicaid, is meant for low-income families – this means folks that earn UNDER $10,000 per year and having less than $13,800 in all assets. Maybe these folks simply ‘missed’ the few extra $.00’s that are at the end of their bank statement. Maybe they simply think it’s their right, or maybe that is how the rich stay rich.

The Manhattan prosecutors’ office handed down indictments for 19 people who are accused of beating the system. I’m not talking about folks that have some cash, I mean a dentist who pulls in a six-figure salary as well as the owner of two waterfront mansions. The person who owns the homes, actually rents them out during the summer for $65,000 each. Now I know the housing/summer share market took a hit, but still come on dude!

What they are ‘finding out’ and I use that term very loosely, is that more and more are simply lying to get a health-insurance handout. Like Bernie Madoff, they just didn’t think they would get caught. You hear “let the rich taxes fund the $849Billion that’s needed for healthcare reform”. I don’t think that’s the only way, nor fair. Nor do I think that raising taxes, or limiting care to those who are not citizens, is the right way. Is it fair that people should have to choose between a doctor or their next meal simply because they can’t afford both? It amazes me that other countries can help their poor, have universal health care, and still have nations that thrive, but we, in the best country in the world, can’t because the ‘powers that be’ can’t play nice in the sand box.

You know everyone wants to come to America, but what are they bring with them? Tons of people say “if you can’t make it in NY you can’t make it anywhere”, well there is a lot more folks NOT making it, or hadn’t they noticed? There are those who want to be educated here, get financial aid and then go back to their own country without so much as a backwards glance to the country that made them what they are. I say if you want to close the boarders (of course people only think of Mexicans that cross the borders in the dark of night, or people from dictator countries that risk life/limb on rickety boats) then close them to all. That means no one coming from the Ukraine, Russia, China, Germany, or any other country. That means watching those visas and monitoring them. What you don’t have the manpower for that – well, hire people (that will stimulate the economy even if in just this sector). If you’re not here and can’t bring benefit to the US of A, then you are no longer welcome. When your country goes to war, don’t look to us to save you, because we obviously can’t save ourselves.

What do I believe? I believe that the US is a great place. We are a country that is welcoming to all who want to do right by her. I have friends from all cultures, countries and economic abilities. I think we have and continue to stick our nose in others affairs and don’t necessarily know how to say “No”. I think this war has gone on too long; it’s lost its focus (to find Osama Ben Laden) and now can’t get out. I think that this country should take a breath and take care of HOME first. What a difference that would make.

No comments:

About This Blog

As life goes on, I'll find new things to write about, new dreams to have, new people to love and a life worth living. I do want to take this moment to thank you for reading my blog and I hope that if you have anything to share you do. Please feel free to make suggestions, subscribe to my blog feed and know that I will do my best.
Once again...thank you for your support

Blog Archive

New Counter

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP