Friday, February 29, 2008

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME...HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!!!

So how did the week start....MARTHA STEWART had a 'party' for 'Leap Year' Babies. It was over 170 Leap Year people in the audience, and it was so cool. The one thing I noticed is that the majority of the audience were women....so it made me wonder...."Is being a Leap Year Baby, and Being A Woman Somehow connected??

However, to answer the most asked question "If it was a party, did you get gifts?" Well she's no Oprah by any means!! She did give a digital photo player, you know one of those things that you can upload pictures, and it plays a continuous slide show. She also had this guy on who talked about Frogs. So there were all these Frogs in a pond...it was stupid! I don't know what the show's producer was thinking, but a bunch of us leap-year folks know she didn't look at the leap-year website and/or ask us. Just because it's leap year....doesn't mean we are frogs. DUH!!! The general concensus is that it was disappointing. Where were the balloons?? Where was the cake??? Oh well...It was nice to meet people from around the world that came (yes London, South America, Australia, and others were in the house!!)

No, the celebration didn't stop there. My BFF and her hubby invited me to celebrate in St. Thomas on their beautiful sailboat. Yup...sun, fun, sea and lots of celebrating. My trip started VERY EARLY on the 28th, with a small lay-over in Atlanta. What do you do when you have 2 hrs to kill in an airport...go shopping...then go drinking. As I sat at the Mexican food stand across from the gate, a very loud group came in. They told Jeff (the bartender) that their friend was celebrating his birthday and he needed a drink. So I asked when his birthday was....FEB 29th...ANOTHER ONE!!! He was turning 10, so I told him that 10 was a great year, and to enjoy it. I don't know if he believed me or not, but after he had a few beers, it no longer mattered. This happy crew was headed to St. John, through St. Thomas, so we were all on the same flight. Once I arrived in St Thomas, I called BFF who was still on the boat and would be arriving soon. So I did what any independent 11 year old would do...I got a taxi and went to the hotel. The driver Samuel was handsome, funny, and pointed out all the spots to go while I was on the island. I finally arrived at the Elysian Beach Resort and I'm really pleased. It is a really pretty property, with a friendly staff, and love the "thin-man" chef (originally from Washington State) who makes mean blue berry pancakes. The Ritz Carlton was 300 yards away, so we could enjoy the property, with out paying the price. Shhhhh don't tell.

All in all no matter where we went on St. Thomas - or the short boat ride to St. John, the food was wonderful, and the people delightful. [Speaking of boats...WOW, esp. the little one with the helicopter on the 2nd deck.] Tons of really fresh seafood, and the beef was almost as good as our favorite steakhouse in New York. What's more important is that there were 44+ rousing variations of Happy Birthday for the 4 days I was there. BFF's Hubby, would break into singing anyplace...passing any drink...even water. I think my favorite place was my birthday night when we went to Asolare in Caneel Hill overlooking Cruz Bay in St. John. It has one of the best views of the ocean looking out toward St. Thomas, and this is reason enough to eat here. Make sure you get a reservation as soon as possible, because there are a limited number of tables with a sunset ocean view. Once you take in the view, prepare for a fantastic meal. The restaurant specializes in Asian fusion food with continental touches. It was wonderful, they made it a wonderful memory with cake, a candle and the final Happy Birthday Song.

So the question now becomes...where do I party next? Well, I'm hoping in London in a few months, and then maybe Amsterdam. I know that there will be celebrations all year, for people that want to celebrate with me.

Yes I can hear you...what's the big deal..it's as someone I know says..."One step closer to the grave". Well to me, if I had one every year, I might not make such a big deal about it...but I don't. Every 4 years - I finally have a day that's mine...and after last year...I NEEDED to feel special.

A SPECIAL thanks to everyone (esp the x-factors) that sent cards, emails, calls and texts. There were some real surprises, but I'm deeply grateful that you remembered, and cared. A heart-felt Thanks to the folks at Delta Airlines for the upgrade. My deepest love and 'Thank-you-just -doesn't-seem-like-enough" to my BFF and her Hubby dear.

All I can say is, if you think 11 was a big deal...just wait until I turn 16.


No comments:

About This Blog

As life goes on, I'll find new things to write about, new dreams to have, new people to love and a life worth living. I do want to take this moment to thank you for reading my blog and I hope that if you have anything to share you do. Please feel free to make suggestions, subscribe to my blog feed and know that I will do my best.
Once again...thank you for your support

Blog Archive

New Counter

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP