Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Don’t let the NBA Draft fool you

Today, I went to my favorite Pub-Grub place Dukes in Greenwich Village. It was PACKED!!! I wondered why and then saw the TV…The Final Four Basketball game.

So I walked in, it was filled with men…not necessarily a bad thing. 5 televisions all focused on the UCLA/Memphis game. I looked around and realized I was the only woman (sans the waitresses) who was there one of the 45-50 that was really enjoying the game.

My love of sports came from my dad (yes a proud member of the “Daddy’s Girl” club). When I was younger, I felt like the son he always wanted (I was there washing the car, changing the oil etc.) until my brother was born (10 yrs later). I was a tomboy yet could ‘clean-up well’. Most guys loved the fact that I was as passionate about sports as they were. I was a good date.

Going to a Big-East school, only fueled my passion for the game. As a member of the track team, we were the only ones allowed into the gym while the basketball players practiced. Why? We shared the gym and locker rooms. Being a commuter school inside our sizeable gym was where we practiced during the winter because running in the snow…not an option. Over 85% of the guys were headed to the pro’s, the rest went to the European Leagues and yes, dating a basketball player also had its benefit. So what caused me to write about Basketball today? Pure nostalgia.

Yes, I’m feeling my age. More than that, I looked at this game, these particular players and saw - youth. I looked at the cheerleaders and remembered the time I fell off the shoulders of my 6’4” spotter…OUCH!! A time where the future is a promise not yet fulfilled. I marveled at the energy, their determination and yes some of them had tattoos. That’s the only thing I really hated seeing (but that’s a blog for another day).

I guess the bottom line is that I know that the NCAA has tightened up their rules, but there are people out there (again, you know who you are) who will try to take advantage of these young men. They dangle the almighty dollar, fame and all the women you can handle. The smart ones finish school; continue to play for the love of the game and the rest is a bonus. The others begin to believe they are invincible, believe what their ‘boys’ are telling them. As we say in the business…”They begin to believe their own press.” Just take a look at the proposed draftees, only 7 out of 30 are either in their junior or senior year. Why isn’t the NBA putting a limit on this??

The bottom line, if you’re good, you will have amazing things happen in your career. If you are smart, you will save some money for the day when you can no longer play. If you can understand there is a possibility that you may get injured and never play again you will not leave school early, because that degree will provide you with a back-up option. I’m not saying don’t have fun. Shoot, right now I wish I could have some fun, cuz this grown-up stuff sucks!! I am saying that you’ve come too far to be blinded by the moment. Derrick Rose, I know you’re the supposed #1 draft pick but you’re just a freshman. Finish school…the NBA will be there. Please remember, you’re only as valuable to them as long as your knees work (Patrick), and you have star quality (Mike, Shaq). Create a future value for your self, I promise you; you won’t play for the rest of your life. You will get old and some days, and it will seem sooner than you expect.
So just look at all the views, all the options, and make the right choice. Good Luck!

Disclaimer: Yes I do know these guys, and no I didn’t date the above 3 mentioned.

No comments:

About This Blog

As life goes on, I'll find new things to write about, new dreams to have, new people to love and a life worth living. I do want to take this moment to thank you for reading my blog and I hope that if you have anything to share you do. Please feel free to make suggestions, subscribe to my blog feed and know that I will do my best.
Once again...thank you for your support

Blog Archive

New Counter

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP