Saturday, May 24, 2008

Rock First…Morocco Second…

This is our first ‘official’ full day in Morocco, and I still feel as if I’m dreaming. I wake up before the sunrises, and can tell you that the sky is a fuchsia pink with golden highlights. From our 5th floor balcony I can see the workers watering the flowers and notice that the fountain is in the shape of the Moroccan Star. How fitting.

I get dressed and head downstairs. As one of the first for breakfast, I see a few of my group of merry-men already eating and I join them. My thoughts were to have a traditional Moroccan breakfast, so I begin with fruit and of course fresh orange juice. The doors are open so a bird or 2 are flying around. Singing happy little song, searching for breadcrumbs. I will tell you, if you are on the Atkins diet, and swear off carbohydrates…this is NOT the country for you. Bread, beautiful loaves, sweet fragrant and honey tasting loaves are everywhere. It is a ‘sin’ almost not to accept them. Seeing that bread and Mint tea are a source of ‘family’ and welcoming, I happily accept them over and over again. Hey no diet’s here, at least not this week.

The entire group gathers and laughter quickly fills the dining area. Stories of their latest gigs’ (shows), and plans for shopping after rehearsal are the focal points of conversation. I’m thrilled that the guys are just as interested in shopping as the girls. What warms my heart more, is the guys are thinking of their wives/girlfriends/significant others and their children. “What would they like?” “How many (bags, shoes, outfits) should I bring back?” This is a good group, I love being with them.

I wish my BFF could share this with me.

After breakfast we get on two buses and motor to the venue for the first day of rehearsal. I volunteer to pick up one of the members of the group that was staying at another hotel. Frankly, I was being nosy. I wanted to see more of Morocco and since his hotel was in Casablanca, it was a perfect opportunity to see more of the country.

Again, I borrowed the bands driver Omar who was more than happy to point out areas of interest, and allow me to jump out of the car to take photos when ever something beautiful appeared. The problem is that there was beauty everywhere. I wonder if the people of Morocco see it – appreciate it – drink it in as I am? It’s like people come to NY and say, “There’s so much to see and do. How do you do it all?” I often shrug and simply say “I live here, so I see it all the time.” This trip has made me appreciate the city that I live in, and makes me want to do something cheesy and take a tour around Manhattan like a tourist. To see my city, the city I love through fresh eyes.


Not to drag out so much, Casablanca is beautiful yet different from Rabat. The agriculture is white, and reminds me of Greece. The highlight was seeing the (or at least 1 of) Royal residence of His Majesty Mohammed VI, King of Morocco, and Her Royal Highness Princess Lalla Meryem. IT IS MASSIVE, and no pictures were allowed. I think even if they were, I was so busy being floored by the majesty of it all; I would have missed the shot. It was equivalent to 2.5 miles in length and surrounded by fences, guards, flowers and trees. I can only imagine how deep the residence is. As we drove by my mouth was open almost the entire length of the property, and all I could say was “OH MY GOD, This is AMAZING!” Omar laughed.

After several run-through of songs the day was over, and fun began. Because the festival was on going for 9 days, some of the guys went to see some of the performances. The rest of the group went shopping, eating, and then in for the night.

Tomorrow after all, is another day.

No comments:

About This Blog

As life goes on, I'll find new things to write about, new dreams to have, new people to love and a life worth living. I do want to take this moment to thank you for reading my blog and I hope that if you have anything to share you do. Please feel free to make suggestions, subscribe to my blog feed and know that I will do my best.
Once again...thank you for your support

Blog Archive

New Counter

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP