Sunday, May 25, 2008

Rock the Kasbah….

I will confess something to you…don’t tell anyone!! I’ve been dealing with some pretty heavy-duty health issues the last 2 years. It’s been emotionally, physically, and mentally draining to say the least. (Believe me that’s another blog). In any case, this is my first time venturing so far away. Being with ‘the band’ is safe…we’re all together and it’s cool. Being safe - never something I cared to do. I like to be totally saturated in the culture and vibe of every country I visit. I want to eat where the 'local's' eat. That for me is a true visit to a country. So today while the band was in rehearsals, I decided to hire a driver and head to Marrakesh and Medina for the day. Little did I know what an adventure this would be.

Before the sun rose at 06:15, I was already awake and packing my day bag of goodies. Since this was going to be a 3 hr (yes it’s 3 hrs via car from Rabat – train with it’s constant delays longer and a flight, way too expensive), I wanted to make sure I had enough money and snacks. For me snacks came in the form of an energy bar and M&Ms. I went to breakfast fueled up on fruit and of course, mint tea. I watched the sun rise over the gardens and the flowers begin to open; welcoming the warmth and the beginning of yet another beautiful day. At 07:30 I went to the front desk where a breathless young man was asking the concierge to ring room 423. I said 'I’m room 423'. He apologized for being late (it was 07:31). I told him to rest a moment, I was going to get my things from the room and we could leave.

With day bag (stylishly matching my tunic – yes Sex and The City taught me to always match…then again so did mom ☺) and a bottle of water to prevent dehydration, we got into "My Mercedes" and sped toward the highway.

I will tell you, if this is how the other life lives…please sign me up!!

Having a driver who spoke very little English, and my French wasn’t beyond the very basics, Sied (pronounced Sigh-ed) and I got along fantastically. How? Pointing, pictures from the guidebook, and hand gestures. His first stop about 1.5 hr into our drive and just on the outskirts of Casablanca was to stop at a supermarket/mall for water.

It will surprise you that their idea of a mall is equivalent to…hmmm, Sams Club, IKEA, Wal-Mart (without the walls). LARGE, but sparse. It made me realize just how much stuff we have here in the US, and how much of it we really need. It was really like walking into a supermarket and then once you went past the checkout there were other shops ie shoe stores, a place for calling cards, and McDonalds. It’s true there are McDonalds everywhere. I did check, but didn’t find a Starbucks anywhere. Remember this is TEA country.

We drove for hours, but the time flew by. I enjoyed every moment of the desert and seeing the occasional mountain formation and/or village. Sied said that there are certain tribes that continue to live very much the old fashion way – living off the land, and never venturing into the nearest town. They are pretty self-contained, and have lived this way for generations. I was truly moved to tears at the simplicity and beauty of these people. Don’t get me wrong, I love the USA, but to realize that in a country that has so much, and still complains so much, I was humbled.

We finally arrive in Marrakesh and my mouth dropped open. How do I explain this. It’s a city contained in another city. The main thoroughfare can compete with Park Avenue, Rodeo Drive, or any major shopping street in the world; above is a picture of where we drove before we got to the main marketplace 'The Souks of Marrakesh' or better known as 'Place Jemma el-Fna' (pronounced “j maf na”). This walled royal domain stretches from the Ben Youssef Mosque in the north to the Souk Smarine in the south. It is huge approx 5 square miles (my best guess). Here there are several touristy things: snake charmers, trained monkeys, Fortune Tellers Orange Juice and Dried Fruit stall, and my favorite the Water Sellers (known as gerrab - see photo left). Because of the intense heat of the square these water sellers are easy to spot. They are colorfully dressed with tassel-fringed hats, ringing a copper bell. I learned that there are 2 cups – one brass is exclusively for Muslims, while the white-metal cups are for everyone else. I passed on the drink, but did snap the photo.

I was told that at night this market comes alive with entertainers of all kinds. Because it is 3 hrs back to the hotel in Rabat, and sunset won’t be until after 7:30pm (19:30) I know that I won’t be able to take part. I am a woman on a mission, a woman that won't be stopped!

So what does one do in Jemma El Fna? SHOP 'TIL YOU DROP…and I almost did, and took Sied with me. ☺

No comments:

About This Blog

As life goes on, I'll find new things to write about, new dreams to have, new people to love and a life worth living. I do want to take this moment to thank you for reading my blog and I hope that if you have anything to share you do. Please feel free to make suggestions, subscribe to my blog feed and know that I will do my best.
Once again...thank you for your support

Blog Archive

New Counter

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP