Monday, May 26, 2008

Souks to the Left of me...Souks to the Right of me...

With so many things to look at, it takes your eyes several moments to take it all in.










Then you think....Where do I begin?

There is so much beauty everywhere yet the market is just as it was described. Stalls of dried figs, dates, apricots, nuts and grapes. There were the snake charmers (did you know that because of the extreme heat, that’s why the snakes seems to dance? It’s like they are coming out of their heat-coma.), and my friend the camels.

Now…those of you know I can probably carry a tune in a bag if I try. Sied and I happened upon some friends who had the most beautiful eyes, but I kept my distance because they have been known to spit. While that is considered good luck...something about Camel spit on my clothes in the hot sun for 7 hrs....NOT appealing. I did convince one of them that I was there for the concert and when I sang to my friend, and he sang back. WAY COOL!!!

The main route into the souks is…just as close as what catches your eye. For me, it was the Souk des Babouches. This is where I found the most amazing Camel skinned shoes, as well as a pair of pink and tan shoes that are amazing. Hmmmm how do I describe them…Slip-ons, and the pointy-toe that curls up. I feel just like a real Moroccan woman. Frankly, there are stalls after stalls of these shoes (babouches). Some are better quality, some are plastic, leather, or skin from an animal. You really just have to find a stall that catches your eye and bargain like crazy.

Let me say that the first stall I went into had the most amazing babouches in pony skin. They were fabulous. So you’re thinkin’…she purchased several pair right? WRONG! Why, because he wouldn’t bargain beyond 800 Dirham. Sied tried his best to get him to go lower, but he wouldn’t, so I said “Thank you”, and we left. About 100yards away was another stall that also had animal skin shoes. They weren’t pony, instead they were camel. “OK, these will do nicely.” I thought. He also had the pink and several in silk. I checked the quality of the shoes and after some bargaining (believe me it’s a ritual and Moroccan custom, so I wasn’t taking advantage – honest!!), I was happy with giving him 800 Dirham for both pair. It was my first time bargaining and I was pretty proud of myself.

With shoes in hand, we then went to Souk des Tapis. This was once an auction area for slaves but now there are colorful carpets, blankets and rugs. There is also a tons of furniture all well made, and some were dyed right in front of me. Personally, I loved the naked wood, but realize that the colors are what make it Moroccan. Here I found 2 silk blankets – big enough for a King sized bed. One in red/orange/sunset-yellow this one for me, and another that has varying shades of earth tones for my mom/dad.

As Sied and I often jumping to the side to avoid the random person on a scooter or bike that was riding through the narrow passageways. It was amazing because you were never really sure where you would end up. This is where Sied’s Arabic came in handy. He would ask directions and soon we would be off on a new adventure.

I will say that there is a “Souk” for everything: spices, pottery, brass lanterns, jewelry, leather, metalwork, and just about anything else you can imagine. 3.5hrs, 2 traditional kaftans, 2 blankets, 3 pair of shoes, several key chains later, Sied and I were ready for lunch. Actually I was just ready to sit. Poor Sied, as you see he was carrying my bag. Yes if you ever get a man to carry your purchases, let him.

We decided to forgo the ‘touristy’ places for lunch and go deep within the souks for ‘local’ food. Now that I think of it, I don’t remember the name of the restaurant; I can’t tell you how to get there. What I can tell you is that the Lemon Chicken with couscous and olives was the best I’ve ever had. It was cooked in a Tajines and that’s the way it was served. Since Sied was so kind in lugging my purchases, I bought him lunch. The two of us ate and drank coke until we were full for a grand total of, $8.00US.

Exhausted and battling the heat, we headed to the car because there was still a lot of Marrakesh to see. I do believe the highest compliment I received, I bargaining like a true Moroccan woman.

No comments:

About This Blog

As life goes on, I'll find new things to write about, new dreams to have, new people to love and a life worth living. I do want to take this moment to thank you for reading my blog and I hope that if you have anything to share you do. Please feel free to make suggestions, subscribe to my blog feed and know that I will do my best.
Once again...thank you for your support

Blog Archive

New Counter

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP