Thursday, August 28, 2008

Former President Bill Clinton still has it!!

I want to say that the reason this is a bit late is because I was at a very important event last night. My dear friend Barry celebrated his 60th birthday. What a wonderful celebration with friends and family. Des you did a great job and I thank you both for allowing me to be a part of it.

On to last night’s convention. I tivo’d it so it’s taken me a while to watch it. This will be very brief now, but I will (well may) fill in some thoughts later on.

I am very proud of Hillary. She made a gracious exit from the hard-fought presidential primary with a shortened, ceremonial roll call. When she called for an amendment it made him the official nominee of the Democratic Party. "With eyes fixed on the future and the spirit of unity, with the goal of victory, with faith in our party and our country, let's declare together in one voice right here, right now, that Barack Obama is our candidate and he will be our president." I can only imagine the mixed feelings (hey, she is human so give her a break!!), yet the determination to do what is best for the party she was going through. She also knew that every eye, and camera would be focused on her. She was sincere, and her commitment was evident. Let me say again, I am very proud of you Hillary.

Let it be said that Mr. Barack Obama is now the first African-American to get the nomination by a major party. His speech will be in about one-hour from now, so I’m also going to move on a be equally brief about former President Clinton.

I love Bill Clinton and I think that by the seven minute round of applause, so did everyone in the convention hall. If you didn’t hear his speech, please listen to it. We actually both attended the same school at Oxford, so we have a very special tie. His speech was on point and had the crowd on it’s feet almost the entire time. He promised like Hillary to do all he could to make sure that Barack was nominated. I actually believe that he will do that. Barack should remember that he IS one of the most well respected and liked former presidents still alive. There are things to learn from him (only the good things), so he should be open to learning from Bill Clinton’s experiences.

Joe Biden’s son didn’t leave a dry eye in the house and he gave a wonderful introduction to his father. How proud he must be of him.

Joe Biden was amazing. This was my first time hearing him speak and I thought he gave a passionate and very personal speech. Like the Republicans will do next week, there were some ‘suggestions’ by Joe that the way of the other party is not the way to go. Did he as a person convince me – yes to a certain degree. There is still a lot to learn about Joe, and Barack and we will in the following weeks. I can’t believe it’s only 68 days until the actual election. In 68 days, no matter what this election will be seen as historic.

What I want anyone who is reading this blog to do is to re-read and listen to the speeches of both tickets and hold who ever wins accountable. After all, you are voting for someone based on what they said they will do. Isn’t it time we made our government accountable?

In just a bit, Barack Obama will speak, accept the nomination of the Democratic Party. He is also speaking on the 45th anniversary of the “I have a Dream” speech. Like the day Hillary conceded 06/07/08, this is a special night for Barack.

Ok…Former VP Al Gore is just about to speak so I’m signing off until later.
Thanks to everyone who has taken time to read this – tell me what you think?

No comments:

About This Blog

As life goes on, I'll find new things to write about, new dreams to have, new people to love and a life worth living. I do want to take this moment to thank you for reading my blog and I hope that if you have anything to share you do. Please feel free to make suggestions, subscribe to my blog feed and know that I will do my best.
Once again...thank you for your support

Blog Archive

New Counter

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP