Wednesday, August 27, 2008

No Way, No How, No McCain...Hillary ROCKS the Convention

A WOMAN ON A MISSION



“She didn't become an astronaut, but she did reach for the stars, something she always will continue to do." This was my favorite line from the video presentation narrated by Chelsea Clinton. A colorful mix of photos, video clips of ‘Hil’ in action and remarks from some of her close friends “you really, really don’t want her to sing’ were warm, endearing and very personal. Unlike Michelle’s brother, who had a formal announcement slot time, Chelsea simply introduced her as "my hero and my mother". One can’t say anything bad about Chelsea. She is an accomplished hedge fund manager; has never been seen throwing a tantrum or being a brat; will say “Hi” if you pass her on the street (she did that once when I was in city); and is one of the best things (Bill and Hillary will agree) that has come out of their marriage. We share an Oxford education, love of our mothers and I’m hoping to see her at our next Oxford Alumni get together…she was a little busy the last 19 months. You’re forgiven Chelsea.

On to the main topic…

With that a deafening roar erupted from more than 5,000 their "Hillary" placards waving franticly, when the former first lady and Senator from my state, New York took the stage. When Hillary she walked onto the stage she looked radiant. There was a glow and to me at least, a look of peace on her face that I had not seen in a long time. It could also be that she wore one of my favorite colors that warmed her skin and put the extra twinkle in her eyes. In fact, during her speech she gave a tribute to "my sisterhood of the traveling pantsuits", she referred her collection of matching pants, jackets and tops. No matter what she wears, she look GREAT last night.

So you can read the tons of reviews on Senator Clinton’s speech. The reviews are definitely mixed but are mostly positive. Keep in mind I’m not a political writer – hey I’m just trying to be a decent writer period, but I did take some notes last night and am proud to say a lot of my points appeared in the NYT this morning, so here we go…

"No way. No how. No McCain.”
“Barack Obama is my candidate. And he must be our president.”
“The time is now to unite as a single party with a single purpose.”
“We don’t need four more years of the last eight years.”
“That is our duty, to build that bright future, to teach our children that in America there is no chasm too deep, no barrier too great, ­ no ceiling too high, ­ for all who work hard, who keep going, have faith in God, in our country, and in each other. That’s our mission, Democrats. Let’s elect Barack Obama.”

I believe her, and it seemed 95% of people I've spoken to today feel the same. I think her message was clear. She is a true T-E-A-M player, and even if she spoke of what she did (“I”) and what she passionately believes, she has acknowledged a well run race and she is on the Obama team. She thanked her supporters, was gracious to the Obama/Biden ticket and then she asked her supporters to look beyond ‘team Hillary” and put all of their support – all 18,000,000 of them behind Obama.

Some would call it a ‘pre-2012’ speech…others say that because her presence was so commanding that Barack Obama needs to complete the unity circle and close the deal. Tonight I am attending a party for a friend but have the Tivo ready to catch former President Bill Clinton's comments. I'm sure once again the convention will be on it's feet. What Barack needs is to be as gracious to Hillary as she was to both he and Michelle. Maybe Hillary’s speech has created a fire that we will once again see in the Democratic Party. Remember it was four short years ago, when Barack was the Keynote at the last Democratic Convention. We all wondered “Who is this man?” Now we know.

SIDE BAR: I've been trying to get the transcript from the Gov of Montana Brian Schweltzer - he was on FIRE!!!

When you think about it, Hillary’s supporters have already said “she was my choice, I believe in her, and she TOLD me to vote for Obama so I’m going to do what she asks.” Barack are you listening?? This is yours to win. The support is there, last night you were given the entire olive bush (no pun intended) Thursday is your night. Thursday some 40+years after Rev. Martin Luther King’s Dream speech will be your time.

Barack Obama Time.
The ‘Dream’ speech has been referred to since I was a child. The dream when things seem impossible. The speech played from every mountain, by every person, who has ever faced adversity.


Thursday is the night – you only get one change to make this lasting impression.

My only advice, don’t blow it.

No comments:

About This Blog

As life goes on, I'll find new things to write about, new dreams to have, new people to love and a life worth living. I do want to take this moment to thank you for reading my blog and I hope that if you have anything to share you do. Please feel free to make suggestions, subscribe to my blog feed and know that I will do my best.
Once again...thank you for your support

Blog Archive

New Counter

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP