Monday, August 25, 2008

The Democratic Party is saying..."Let’s Get It Started!"

I’ve not written in a while. It’s not because I didn’t have anything to say, it’s because I had too much to say. I decided to focus my attention to something important; the political process. Yes, it is a lot to deal with, but with the Democratic convention this week, it seemed like a good time to start. Don’t worry; I’ll have equal commentary when the Republic Convention begins in a few weeks.

As the Democratic National Convention kicks into high gear in Denver tonight, Michelle Obama headlines and the four-night event culminates Thursday, with Sen. Barack Obama accepting the Democratic nomination for president.

I don’t know Obama personally, but I do believe that his choices are deliberate. Did you know he will accept the nomination on the 45th anniversary of the historic speech by Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.? The "I Have a Dream" speech and the promise of a better future is what Dr. King spoke about and wished for every person in the US. I believe this is not an accident of dates, a chance, or a coincidence. Do I think that this is the second coming of Dr. King…no. I will say that I don’t think that even Obama would believe that he is equal to Dr. King. I also think that he believes that everyone should have a chance to lead and live the best life possible.

While all of this is really ‘nice’, what the Democrats needs most – given the contingency that is very vocally “pro Hillary” supporters - is a UNITED PARTY!! This convention has to emphasize economic and health issues ... these are some of the issue dominating the country right now. Iraq sadly, not so much any more. I'm not saying it's not important - please don't take me wrong. America believes in helping people and countries that are less fortunate, but I also believe that America is saying “Enough!! What about taking care of HOME (the USA) first?”

Of course, it is not lost that some are focused on Obama possibly being the “First African American President”. While I hate to burst that bubble, history has shown that there were at least 5 other “black” presidents. Thomas Jefferson, the nation's third president, was considered the first black president. Sorry President Clinton!

Andrew Jackson, Abraham Lincoln, Warren Harding and Calvin Coolidge. But why was this unknown? How were they elected president? All five of these presidents never acknowledged their black ancestry.

Jefferson, who served two terms between 1801 and 1809, was described as the "son of a half-breed Indian squaw and a Virginia mulatto father." Jefferson also was said to have destroyed all documentation attached to his mother.

President Andrew Jackson, the nation's seventh president, was in office between 1829 and 1837. The Virginia Magazine of History states that Jackson was the son of an Irish woman who married a black man. The magazine also stated that Jackson's oldest brother had been sold as a slave. Remember back then (and sadly still to this day) some people still think if you have ‘one drop of black blood that makes you black’ no matter how fair-skinned you are.

Abraham Lincoln, the nation's 16th president. He was said to have been the illegitimate son of an African man. Lincoln had very dark skin and coarse hair and his mother allegedly came from an Ethiopian tribe. His heritage fueled so much controversy that Lincoln was nicknamed "Abraham Africanus the First" by his opponents.

President Warren Harding, the 29th president, apparently never denied his ancestry with black ancestors between both sets of parents. It has been further said that Harding attended Iberia College, a school founded to educate fugitive slaves.

Coolidge, the nation's 30th president, served between 1923 and 1929 and supposedly was proud of his heritage. He claimed his mother was dark because of mixed Indian ancestry. Coolidge's mother's maiden name was "Moor" and in Europe the name "Moor" was given to all blacks just as "Negro" was used in America. It later was concluded that Coolidge was part black.

The only difference between Obama and these former presidents is that none of their family histories were fully acknowledged by others. Even though Obama is half-white, he strongly resembles his Kenyan father. And not only is Obama open about his ancestry, most people acknowledge him as a black man, which is why people will identify Obama, if elected, as the true first black president of the United States.

Ok...enough of the history lesson.

The night is young…and Michelle Obama is scheduled to speak later on tonight at the Democratic National Convention. I have to admit, I like her style. I like the fact that she is a strong, smart, equal to Barack. I love the fact that she is a MOM and raising happy children is more important to her than being the possible First Lady. I think the fact that she buys her clothes off the rack – totally ROCKS. She will be the focus for my blog tomorrow. Check back then!!

No comments:

About This Blog

As life goes on, I'll find new things to write about, new dreams to have, new people to love and a life worth living. I do want to take this moment to thank you for reading my blog and I hope that if you have anything to share you do. Please feel free to make suggestions, subscribe to my blog feed and know that I will do my best.
Once again...thank you for your support

Blog Archive

New Counter

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP