Monday, November 03, 2008

Can You Have It All???

The election begins in less than 2 hours in some states. I am both excited and yet nervous about the outcome. It’s amazing that I shared with my mother and my friend Troy (who this blog entry is dedicated to) a story about something I remembered that happened when I was in Law School.

I was a member of the Black law students association, campaigning for a seat as national secretary. I remember doing all the prep work for flyers, campaign buttons, and the like. As a first year, it was almost unheard of to go after a national position. I was told I didn’t have any experience, but I felt I could do a good job. I have fond memories of getting to Harvard a day early and convincing people, who I met for the first time to be a part of my campaign team. We plastered posters, passed out buttons and worked on my speech. What’s so funny is I was running unopposed. This was a ‘shoe-in’ victory, but I didn’t take that for granted. People told me that I could ‘have it all’, if I just showed up. I however, ran a race as if I was against several opponents. I was passionate about what I thought I could do to make a change. I was focused on making things better in any way I could, and outlined my proposal to anyone who would listen. I met Troy my first day of campaigning. He was a 3rd year who became one of my key campaign advisors during the 3 days of meetings. He was then and still is a very dear friend.

So where is the joke right? In MY MIND…and I know I can have an imagination that takes on a life all it’s own, I thought had I turned right, instead of going left, I could have met Barack. Had things progressed we ‘could have’ dated. If that was successful, I could have been Mrs. Obama. I could be sitting here in my apt in Boston, writing about why I think my ‘husband Barack” should be president. I would share with you his vision on what he believes he could do to make a change for this country. See, I told you I had an imagination. Things obviously didn’t go that way. I vaguely remember seeing him, and we know that he has married the absolutely right woman. Michelle is like the song, “More Than A Woman”. If all goes well, as I believe it is her wish, she will make a wonderful First Lady.

This week has been a week, and campaigning is down to the wire! I wrote to my friend Troy, and asked his advice about life and politics. I asked him if his life, is what he thought it would be, and can a person “have it all”. After a long conversation, these are some of the thoughts I would like to share.

Life is hard, and some days more than others. The thing is when you feel like you are at the end of your rope, you do what most people find difficult– you ask for help. You never truly know the joy or misery others go through. It can appear that they are the king of the hill, or the bell of the ball, but this can be a fallacy that is perpetuated by people who‘fake it or hide it well’. Want we do know is that when the door closes, they are like you…human. But the question remains…are they, at their core happy – truly happy? Are they loved, are they supported, can be themselves no matter what?

Having it all –it’s not money (though I wish I had some), it’s not fame (though I would like to be known for some contribution to this world), it’s not having what the ‘Jones, Smiths or Browns’ have (no matter how much you really, really, really want it.).

Having it all, is a friend who hears your pain in an email and picks up the phone, because you matter that much to them.
Having it all, is knowing that no matter the good, bad, or absolutely crappy way you may be, feel or even in a moment of losing your mind act, that there are people who know you; know your heart and still love you in spite of yourself.
Having it all, isn’t wining the praise and accolades that come in the moments of great triumph, it’s knowing that those moments of quiet, and loss; when fear and doubt may grip your very soul (as it does every living person), that there is a hand that will reach out to comfort you, and arms there to hug you.
Having it all isn’t about being perfect – it’s just about being the best you can be at any given moment.
Having it all is love of family, unconditional friendship and peace of mind.

I don’t have it all. I may have 2/3 of it. I guess that makes me a lucky woman, so I’ll try hard not to complain…too much ☺. What I do have is a drive to be the best person I can be. I say I’m sorry, when I hurt someone and I mean it. I try my best to love unconditionally. Of course there have been some dark and stormy moments but there is always light at the end of the tunnel – or at least that is what I would like to believe. I’m human – I will make mistakes – I will tell the truth when I should remain silent. I will have expectations and yes some may think them unrealistic, but I ask for no less than the1000% I give. I don’t know any other way – and believe me, some days I wish I did.

All this rambling…so what is the point right? Tomorrow is Election Day and some people will be happy, others sad at the outcome. There will be no group of people that will “have it all” because let’s face it…the economy has gone to hell in a very pretty hand-basket. There is no group of minorities that will have it all if Obama wins, just as there is no group of women that will have it all if Palin wins. They are both human who will make mistakes and I hope have the common sense to ask for help. I hope who ever wins will surrounded themselves with people who won’t ‘yes’ them to death, but provide advice and recommendations. I hope that who ever wins remembers their promises, I will. Because of those promises you are getting my vote, and I will hold you accountable.

If we as a country don’t listen to each other (Democrat/Republican), work together, re-build together we won’t have anything. In the end we all lose, and I want to be on a winning team. I’m just praying that we don’t have to get super-nanny to give the senate/congress a time out.

Tomorrow, Please Vote.

No comments:

About This Blog

As life goes on, I'll find new things to write about, new dreams to have, new people to love and a life worth living. I do want to take this moment to thank you for reading my blog and I hope that if you have anything to share you do. Please feel free to make suggestions, subscribe to my blog feed and know that I will do my best.
Once again...thank you for your support

Blog Archive

New Counter

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP