Saturday, January 31, 2009

SUPER BOWL 43 and NBC, not hurting in this economy

Well, it’s not as exciting as Obama taking the oath of office, but…IT’S SUPER BOWL TIME. Since I really don’t care that much about either of the teams (maybe next year Jets!!), it’s all about food and the commercials.

I’m really proud to say, that I had a hand in working with one of the top 10 Super Bowl commercials of all time…EDS 'Hurding Cats in 1998. It was Super Bowl XXXV, my first real PR client and what a blast it was!! I remember having a Super bowl party at my house and shushing people when the commercial came on. The Baltimore Ravens defeated the New York Giants 34-7. It still gives me such pride…my baby!!! I think the only other commercial that makes me smile and gives me such a ‘warm-fuzzy’ is the original “Mean Joe Green” commercial. If memory serves me, it’s the first commercial I remember watching the game with my dad…hence my love of the game and the commercials that makes the Super Bowl so special.

I think the only thing that disturbs me this year about the Super Bowl, isn’t if it’s going to be a good game. If there are enough Buffalo wings, chili, snacks and beverages, that’s the making for a good time. What upsets me is the staggering amount of money it costs for 30-seconds of commercial time. NBC said on the eve of Sunday's Super Bowl that it has sold 69 advertising spots for the game, pushing total ad revenue for the event to a record $206 million. That’s $3million for 30-seconds of airtime.

The network said its total of $261 million in ad revenue for all of Super Bowl day also is a record, calling it an especially impressive feat in the middle of the economy's steep downturn.

Did you know…
There are a few companies that are bowing out this year due to economic realities; FedEx, Charmin, and GM. Good for you!!

What is really sad is apparently, after laying off 1,400 employees last month, Budweiser Brewer’s new Belgian owner is going for a full 4 ½ min of airtime. That’s just over $25million. Guess what’s what happens when you cut your employees; you have a little extra cash to ‘spare’. You should be ashamed!! Please know that I’ll NEVER drink your beer again, and will encourage everyone I know to drink anything other than Budweiser products. When a company is willing to cut that many people, claim they are cash poor and then turn around and spend it on a commercial tells me a lot about your morals and ethics.

Sorry for the rant. Well, I hope that the game is a good one but as I said for me, this year it’s all about the commercials. I'm looking forward to the Jets coming back strong this year and playing in 2010. Here’s to the best team winning. Here's to commercials that are hopefully worth the money spent.

No comments:

About This Blog

As life goes on, I'll find new things to write about, new dreams to have, new people to love and a life worth living. I do want to take this moment to thank you for reading my blog and I hope that if you have anything to share you do. Please feel free to make suggestions, subscribe to my blog feed and know that I will do my best.
Once again...thank you for your support

Blog Archive

New Counter

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP